USAA, or the United Services Automobile Association, is a banking and insurance company that has existed in America since 1922. Originally founded by and created for military personnel and their families in San Antonio, Texas, USAA has since grown to operate in all fifty states and serve over one million members.
USAA memberships focus on military families and their children, offering investments, insurance, banking, nand loan needs, as well as comprehensive advice and guidance for military families.
Table of Contents
Twenty-five members of the Army came together in San Antonio in the early 1920s and decided that they needed to insure their automobiles and had the know-how to do so.
Over the years USAA moved beyond insurance to provide military members and their families with banking options, investment opportunities, and VA Loans for eligible homeowners.
Competitive rates and progressive policies keep USAA on the map, but their service to only military members and their families means USAA.com isn’t for everyone.
USAA has only recently started offering brick-and-mortar sites; all services including things like direct deposit and account transactions are available online.
Does USAA Offer Full Coverage Insurance?
USAA offers over 27 different kinds of insurance. It not only offers full coverage for your car, but can also insure your boat, your motorcycle, your classic car, or even your airplane.
A far cry from the Model A’s that were likely being insured in 1922, USAA can now offer comprehensive coverage on almost anything with wheels, as well as home and life insurance. We’ll revie all of the USAA’s services below.
Is USAA Insurance Expensive?
Like most insurance companies, USAA rates vary based on a number of pieces of information given by the potential policyholder. Things like how you drive your vehicle, the type of car, the deductible you’d prefer, and even your good (or bad) driving history can affect the prices you will be paying for vehicle insurance.
However, with that being said, USAA has been well-rated by popular magazines (such as Forbes, Fortune, The Atlantic, and Computerworld, to name a few) to have one of the lowest available insurance rates in the United States. To help shed some more light on this popularity, here is the inside information on the USAA.com from actual customers.
In this article we are offering an extensive review of USAA, the products and services offered, and what current and former customers have to say about the company. In this USAA.com review, USAA job reviews are not included.
- Auto insurance – Insure any type of automobile that can be driven, from the more expensive retirement cars to that beautiful big truck that you need for the farm. USAA auto insurance can be selected by types and levels of coverage desired, and tweaked to remain within your price range.
- Motorcycle insurance – Does your mode of transportation involve only two or three wheels instead of four? With a short visit, website information can tell you all you need to know about coverage for your open air travels.
- ATV insurance – Your off-road fun needs insurance just as your on-road necessities do, and USAA has got it covered with ATV insurance for off-road vehicles. Mud not included.
- RV and motorhome insurance – Millions of Americans find enjoyment in travel and spending time in the wide open outdoors of our beautiful country. For those USAA members who are traveling in comfort and style with an RV or motorhome, comprehensive and thorough coverage is available.
- Classic and collector car insurance – If your prized possession (or obsession) consists of wheels and a few thousand pounds of steel, having insurance for it is a must. Collector car enthusiasts will be happy to know that USAA can specifically insure your classic or collector car for any needs.
- Boat insurance – Yes, all of these insurance options include boats and watercraft as well. While most states don’t require specific boat insurance, many marinas will request that boat insurance be purchased before a boat can be docked there.
- Personal watercraft – Personal watercraft and the trailers to pull it can be covered against damage, injury liability, and so on. While these things are extremely fun, they can also be dangerous and break down easily. Make sure you are covered!
- Aviation insurance – With USAA insurance services you can even cover your airplane. With coverage options available from small private planes to personal jets, USAA can keep you covered in the air as much as on land.
- Renter’s insurance – Renter’s insurance isn’t as widely understood as it should be, because it can be very important when you are renting a property for residence. Renter’s insurance can cover things like theft and damage, or keep you safe if someone gets injured on the property you are renting.
- Homeowner’s insurance – Insuring your own home is vitally important and a big deal and can cost thousands of dollars above what you should be paying if you do not find the right company. Know your house and know what it needs with the help of an experienced institution.
- Condo insurance – Condo insurance is similar to homeowner’s insurance, with simple additions and subtractions that make sense for a residence that is attached to other residences.
- Landlord insurance – Are you the renter instead of the rentee? Don’t play guessing games with the types of people who are renting out your home or property. Landlord insurance can specifically cover your property when you are renting it out to other people.
- Valuable personal property insurance – Valuable personal property isn’t always covered by blanket insurance such as renter’s insurance or homeowner’s insurance. If you have valuable property that you keep in your residence, such as jewelry or fine art, USAA can help you insure those pieces against theft and damage.
- Flood insurance – More and more often these days news stories are popping up with instances of natural disasters that include horrific flooding that damages property and even takes lives. If you are in even the slightest danger of having flooding to parts or all of your property, flood insurance is a must-have.
- Mobile home insurance – With USAA, all types of homes can be insured, including mobile homes. Your property and residence are not any less valuable just because it is on wheels, and USAA can help you cover it.
- Farm and ranch insurance – Farmers and ranchers in the United States are often having to fight for their land and their way of life. USAA can make that easier by knowing what is important to be covered for farmers and ranchers trying to keep their way of life.
- Collectibles insurance – If you invest your money in collectibles, it does not matter whether that collectible is worth one cent or one million dollars, it is still priceless to you. If you are a collector, look into collectibles insurance, and gain peace of mind knowing that your collection is covered if something happens.
Owning a business comes with its own set of risks. Not only do you want to insure all of the physical property aspects of your business, but insuring the people who may work for you (including yourself) is an important part of business ownership and financially responsible.
A great insurance company can walk you through what is needed for your business based on size and risk and come up with a comprehensive package. Perhaps reading a USAA.com review or more on this may help you make a more informed choice.
A number of different life insurance options are available through USAA based on age, coverage desired, and financial requirements. Getting life insurance through USAA does not even require you or someone in your family to be a member of the military, this option is available for anyone.
- Medicare plans – USAA can work with Medicare plans for anyone who is eligible.
- Individual and family plans – If you are not eligible to be covered by Medicare, USAA also has a number of plans available for individuals and families with compensation at competitive costs.
- Dental Insurance
- Vision insurance
- Accidental injury insurance
- Umbrella insurance
- Pet insurance
- Travel insurance
- Special event insurance
- Personal cyber insurance
Banking & Investing
- Brokerage accounts
- Checking accounts
- Credit cards
- Certificates of Deposit (CDs)
- Mutual funds
- No-commission financial planning
- Online tools (internet, tablet, smartphone)
- Free credit scores
- Retirement funds
- Auto loans
- Home loans and mortgages (including VA loans)
- Personal loans
USAA Insurance Ratings
Insurance ratings describe the financial stability of an insurance company. These ratings focus on the ability of the company to pay claims as well as the ability to repay any investors that have put money into the company itself.
USAA has an A or better review from the Better Business Bureau as well as a top insurance rating company.
USAA Customer Service
USAA has a direct customer service number. However, they do not offer an online chat option for customer service issues as many companies do.
USAA customer service has a wide variety of ratings, and unfortunately, many of these ratings are negative. Customer service is especially called out in many negative comments in more than one USAA.com review.
If you’re looking for some of the more informative reviews of USAA, look no further. These are some of the most insightful reviews of this company.
USAA Reviews Yelp
USAA has a 1.5 out of 5-star review on Yelp, with 1,115 reviews. Many of the USAA reviews on Yelp reviews talk about how USAA used to be an amazing company but has gone downhill over the last few years.
“USAA used to be the go-to bank for service members. That time is LONG GONE.”
- Benjamin N., Phoenix, AZ 7/20/2022
USAA Reviews Reddit
Often known for being an honest platform for information, USAA reviews on Reddit do not look much better. Many long-time customers have loyalty but admit that they have not shopped around in many years if at all.
“I left USAA for these reasons: Credit cards: nothing special/elite. Investments: can’t beat Vanguard/Fidelity/Schwab. Insurance: Some may get a better deal here, went with a broker and got better rates elsewhere. Checking/Savings/CDs: nothing special, interest rates next to nothing.”
- User, 2016
USAA Google Reviews
Google reviews of USAA vary by location or ATM hub. It is more useful to look at the other reviews available, especially on non-biased sites such as BBB or Consumer Reports.
USAA BBB Rating
USAA is not Better Business Bureau accredited. Through the BBB, USAA holds an A+ rating for reasons including number of interactions with customers, number of years in business, and the type of business, among other factors.
The customer rating for USAA on the BBB website is 1.2 out of 5. Most of the complaints center around customer service issues, including a lack of call back, provided information, and ease of use.
If you are thinking about insurance, a home loan, or any other services offered through USAA, consider looking at these alternative VA mortgage lenders.
Serving U.S. military veterans, other active personnel, and their families, Hero Loan provides these individuals with one of the most efficient and streamlined services in the lending industry. Since the company is dedicated to serving these individuals, it’s our topmost priority to provide personalized professional services for all your lending needs–including all the paperwork!
Moreover, compared to other professional lending companies that will take months before you can close your loan, Hero Loan closes VA Loans in just 14 days.
- Does all the VA Paperwork for you
- Available In-house underwriting
- Close VA Loans in only 14 days
- Straightforward approval procedures
- No out-of-pocket or surprise fees
- Fosters deep relationships with clients
- Hero Loan’s professional services are only available for veterans, active military personnel, and their families
The Home Loan Expert
Known for their quick lending applications, incredible customer service, and efficiency, The Home Loan Expert is one of the fastest-growing lenders in the nation. Their loan officers all live within the communities they serve—meaning you’ll get the resources of a big-time lender with the service you’d expect from a local!
While not primarily for veterans, The Home Loan Expert can be a good USAA alternative, offering:
- Adjustable-Rate Mortgages
- Bank Statement Mortgages
- Cash-Out Refinance
- Conventional Loans
- Debt Consolidation
- FHA Loans
- First Responder Loan Program
- Fixed-Rate Loans
- Home Purchase Loan
- Jumbo Home Loans
- No Income Verification Loans
- Union Loans
- USDA Loans
- VA Loans
- Zero Dollar
Getting your application approved is a breeze when you get started with their 5-Minute Loan Approval* application. Ensuring that the process is as personal as it is professional, we always work to put the customer and the community first.
- Personalized and hands-on service.
- It’s like working with a friend who’s also a home loan expert.
- Best in class closing costs
- Variety of loan and mortgage options
- Robust down payment assistance options
- Given the number of loan choices available, some prior homework might be necessary in order to zero in on the best loan for you. But, we can help you with that!
Navy Federal Credit Union
Navy Federal Credit Union is a well-established institution that has around 200 branches throughout the US, as well as nine in overseas locations and on U.S. military bases.
At Navy Federal, even if you have used up all of your VA Loan benefits, you might qualify for a Military Choice Loan. This is a 30-year mortgage with no minimum down payment.
You will also be able to refinance your:
- VA Loan
- Conventional Loan
- Military Choice Mortgage
- Homeowners Choice Mortgage
Navy Federal’s website has an easy-to-understand interface with facilities for online pre-approval applications. They also offer a variety of insurance options to members, as well, such as life insurance, auto insurance (through Liberty Mutual), and Guaranteed Asset Protection (GAP).
- You can opt for a no-down-payment mortgage
- You can choose to apply with alternative credit data
- A smooth and simple online application process
- Certain loans like the USDA, FHA, home equity, construction loans, home equity line of credit, and reverse mortgages are not available
- Membership is not easily available
- You won’t be able to see the personalized VA mortgage rates before applying for the pre-approval process
Bottom Line: Is the USAA a Good Insurance Company?
The answer to this question mainly relies on what you are looking for in a VA mortgage lender. If competitive rates and coverage are your concern, USAA is likely as good as any other and can provide competitive quotes and services.
However, based on customer complaints, if customer service is a big deal to you (and we believe that in most situations it should be at the top of the list) a better company may be a better fit for you. Hero Loan is passionate about service and support for those that have served our country.
Their mission is to provide fast, personalized service while supporting Veteran-Owned businesses and events. The President and Founder, Ryan Kelley, explains: “We launched Hero loan after quickly realizing the options available for our service members were not what they deserve. We looked at what other lenders in the industry were providing and knew we could do a lot better.”
You might also be interested in reading: