Veterans First Mortgage Reviews
- Lowvarates.com Review - September 8, 2022
- USAA Review - August 16, 2022
- Veterans First Mortgage Reviews - August 5, 2022
If you’re a veteran and are in need of a home loan, there are many professional lending services out there offering VA Loans. One such service is Veterans First Mortgage.
Founded in 1985, as Freedom Mortgage Corporation, the company later rebranded to Veterans First Mortgage in 2016. Veterans First has maintained a focus on veterans with government backed-home loans and various other loan categories.
What are Veterans First credit score requirements and is it the best VA lender for you? Let’s review.
Table of Contents
About Veterans First
Specializing in VA Loans for eligible military personnel and veterans, Veterans First is a Salt Lake City based mortgage lender that is licensed in all 50 states. In 2021, the company opened its first brick-and-mortar branch in Virginia Beach, which is home to one of the largest military communities in the country.
Is Veterans First only for veterans?
While the primary product offered by Veterans First is the VA loan, Veterans First also offers FHA and USDA loans when it is a better fit for the home buyers.
However, Veterans First really specializes in loans for:
- Active-duty service members
- Surviving spouses
- Reservist or national guardsman
- Academy cadet or midshipman
- Officers of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
- U.S. Public Health Service (USPHS)
- WWII merchant seaman
Though 90% of its loans are actually VA Loans, Veterans First also offers USDA and FHA Loans — loans back by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and Federal Housing Administration.
These loans include different rate-and-term refinance options, along with streamlined refinancing for both the FHA and VA applicants. The term rate is also quite flexible as the applicants have the option to choose from 15, 20, 15, and 30-year plans.
Veterans First also offers VA Refinancing.
Veterans First Review
The variety of loans, process experiences, professional expertise, and ease of access, are just among the many different categories to judge whether or not a lending company would be a good fit.
Overall, Veterans First is a good option for veterans looking to acquire a loan from a company with a long history of serving veterans. But if you’re looking for conventional loans or other loan types, another mortgage lending company with more loan options is going to be a better fit.
Mortgage Rates and Fees
Unfortunately, Veterans First does not provide their rates online, only the standard VA Loan fees and rates.
Veteran First’s mortgage application is fairly accessible. Offering online applications allows veterans and borrowers around the globe to apply for a loan with ease.
As the world continues to go digital, it’s paramount that borrowers are able to easily access online lending applications. At Hero Loan, you can get started with our online VA loan application in just five minutes.
Credit Score Requirements
The minimum credit score varies depending on the loan type you are inquiring about.
For Veterans First, their VA Loan has a minimum credit score requirement of 660 while the FHA and USDA loans have a minimum credit score requirement of 620 respectively.
Note, you can get a VA Loan from other lenders with a credit score of 600.
Veterans First Pros
- Has a deep history and specialization when working with military borrowers for the VA loans
- Various low-down-payment government loan options are available
- Listed in all 50 states
Veterans First Cons
- Poor rate transparency
- Does not offer convention loans as it only offers government-backed loans
- Lacks home equity loans for home improvement and/or debt consolidation
- Few brick-and-mortar locations, so you can’t speak to loan officers in person within your community
The transparency with Veterans First is quite poor. Although you can get the general information you want about the various loans offered, you’ll need to have a stable line of communication with your loan officer to get exact rates.
Veterans United Mortgage Loan Officers
At Veterans United, you have a dedicated team of loan officers that provide VA Loan related expertise and knowledge for your homebuying needs. Being assigned to a loan officer offers personalized services that make it easier for veterans and military families to apply for a loan.
You can access the full list of Loan offers through their website and you can reach out to them in advance in order to get prequalified. You can also refer a friend that needs help with their VA loan.
Veterans First Alternatives
Many lender alternatives offer varying different pros and cons, and it’s best to canvas your options before you finally decide on which loan provider is best suited for you. With the Veteransfirst.com review out of the way, here are the best alternatives for you!
Serving U.S. military veterans, other active personnel, and their families, Hero Loan provides these individuals with one of the most efficient and streamlined services in the lending industry. Since the company is dedicated to serving these individuals, it’s our topmost priority to provide personalized professional services for all your lending needs–including all the paperwork!
Moreover, compared to other professional lending companies that will take months before you can close your loan, Hero Loan closes VA Loans in just 14 days.
With this speed, you can expect to be in your brand new home in a matter of weeks. Avoid all the hassle that goes along with other service providers, as Hero Loan is straightforward and to the point when it comes to serving our veterans.
- Does all the VA Paperwork for you
- Available In-house underwriting
- Close VA Loans in only 14 days
- Straightforward approval procedures
- No out-of-pocket or surprise fees
- Fosters deep relationships with clients
- Hero Loan’s professional services are only available for veterans, active military personnel, and their families
The Home Loan Expert
Known for their quick lending applications, incredible customer service, and efficiency, The Home Loan Expert may be a good choice for you. One of the fastest-growing lenders in the nation, their loan officers all live within the communities they serve—meaning you’ll get the resources of a big-time lender with the service you’d expect from a local!
Getting your application approved is a breeze when you get started with their 5-Minute Loan Approval* application. Ensuring that the process is as personal as it is professional, we always work to put the customer and the community first.
Loans & Services:
- Adjustable-Rate Mortgages
- Bank Statement Mortgages
- Cash-Out Refinance
- Conventional Loans
- Debt Consolidation
- FHA Loans
- First Responder Loan Program
- Fixed-Rate Loans
- Home Purchase Loan
- Jumbo Home Loans
- No Income Verification Loans
- Union Loans
- USDA Loans
- VA Loans
- Zero Dollar
- Personalized and hands-on service.
- It’s like working with a friend who’s also a home loan expert.
- Best in class closing costs
- Variety of loan and mortgage options
- Robust down payment assistance options
- Given the number of loan choices available, some prior homework might be necessary in order to zero in on the best loan for you. But, we can help you with that!
Veterans United Home Loans has a long history of lending with 20 years in the industry to U.S. Military veterans, active military personnel, and surviving spouses and families.
Having a dedicated platform to serve veterans, Veterans United is a good option for veterans looking for a home loan. With the company’s dedication in serving those who have served the company, it’s hard to go wrong with Veterans United if you are a veteran.
However, in recent years, the company has been embroiled in a lawsuit involving claims against overcharging customers. Most of these loans were largely backed by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs. Although the company has declared it as a technical issue, they have paid settlements to those who were overcharged. Regardless, this is still a pressing issue that borrowers should be wary about.
For more information on Veterans United, please check out our full review on this company.
- Overall transparent rates with minimal extra fees
- Two decades in lending experience
- Provides support with pre-approvals
- Has a lawsuit regarding the overcharging of customers
- Lack of homeownership equity line of credit
- Many new companies provide updated loan services and practices that would better suit veterans and other military personnel
- Their Pre-approval only means that they will guide your pre-approval process, does not guarantee pre-approval in house
Veterans First Review: Summing it Up
All in all, Veterans First is a good lender that you can rely on. They have a good reputation in the industry and they also primarily cater to veterans across the country. Aside from the VA loans they primarily offer, USDA and FHA loans are also available.
If you’re looking for a straightforward alternative that will suit your homebuying needs, Hero Loan will be the best option for you. We have easy online access as well as loan officers in every state we’re in–so you can meet face-to-face with the community we’r working in.
To get you started, start the 5-minute approval process application today!